Issue: Installing D

Chris Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:43:10 PST 2008

Chris Miller Wrote:

> Jacob Carlborg Wrote:
>
> > Chris Miller wrote:
> > > I've been having some major issues for a long while now trying to install D.  Much of it is because of my library choices, but I don't have a choice as to what libraries I need.
> > >
> > > I've been working to try and get a working installation of D on my Windows Vista workstation.  Whether it's DMD or GDC I don't really care.  My biggest problem is that I need Tango, Derelect, and DDBI.  I've totally given up on finding an IDE by now.
> > >
> > > I've been following the instructions online to the letter (the ones on digitalmars.com) and they keep throwing me grief.  The DInstaller project hasn't been good, since it installs everything to somewhere I can't find.  I got DSSS working once, which was nice...  but then when I tried to build a helloworld.d file it didn't work (tried using rebuild, which is what I would be building larger projects with).
> > >
> > > I can provide further documentation of what I've tried if you like, though it's really just me hitting wall after wall after wall.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your time, and thanks in advance for any pointers or help you can give!
> >
> > I have previously written two installation guides
> >
> > D, DSSS, Tango and Derelict - http://www.gravitygame.se/denvironment.rhtml
>
> That's exactly the kind of tutorial I've been looking for!
>
> Unfortunately I'm not at my workstation (using my Ubuntu Linux laptop ATM) so I'll have to take another whack at this when I get home.

I attempted to install this stuff to a flash drive while at school.  It didn't work on the derelict install.  I thought it was related to the weird nature of the school machines, but when the error happened again at home... I knew something was wrong.  During dsss net install derelict this happens:

.. lots of stuff we don't care about ...
Exported revision 282.
Creating imports for DerelictUtil

derelict => DerelictUtil
+ C:\dsss\bin\rebuild.exe -Idsss_imports\ -I. -S.\ -IC:\dsss\include\d -SC:\dsss
\lib\  -IC:\dsss\include\d -SC:\dsss\lib  -oqdsss_objs\D  -explicit -lib derelic
t\util\exception.d derelict\util\loader.d derelict\util\wintypes.d derelict\util
\wrapper.d -ofDerelictUtil.lib
derelict\util\wrapper.d(71): Error: undefined identifier fromStringz
derelict\util\wrapper.d(71): Error: function expected before (), not fromStringz
 of type int
derelict\util\wrapper.d(71): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (fromSt
ringz(cstr)) of type int to char[]
Command C:\dsss\bin\rebuild.exe returned with code 1, aborting.
Error: Command failed, aborting.

It seems to be choking on the compile, screaming something about the source it's trying to compile in its final moments.

I have a few hypotheses:

1) Derelict isn't Tango-compatible.  Move back to Phobos, compile Derelict, move back to Tango.
2) The sources dsss downloaded don't compile anyways.  Manually check out a previous revision, or wait for someone to fix it.

I tried both repositories DSSS gave the the choice of downloading from.  Both gave the same results.  The Tango example compiled and ran okay though, so I know it isn't an issue with a broken compiler or something like that.

Attached are the directory trees of the relevant directories.

Thanks for the help, I've already gotten further than I previously would be able to much faster than I would have been able to get on my own.

My goal is to have this stuff working by the Ides of March so I can begin the real fun work of coding (which is why I'm a programmer - mucking around with installing stuff is for IT gremlins!)