how to install?

jcc7 technocrat7 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 12:05:47 PST 2008

== Quote from glen worstell (glen at worstell.com)'s article
> Thanks, Bill, for your post re installing d.
>
> Of course I am "on Windows", as mentioned in my post. However, your
> advice about spaces in the path is extremely important, if true,
> because lots of programs normally go in "C:\Program Files\..."
>
> I'll want to verify that before I post my short and complete
> instructions for newbies on installing d. This assumes that I will
> be able to finish the "complete" part - Ary's post didn't cover what
> to do about source files in directories other than the one where the
> sample hello.d file is located. I also think a few words
> for newbies about the different "standard" libraries might be in
> order, but I don't yet know enough to comment on that.

I know there's a rumor out there that there is more than one "standard" library. I
think this is false since Phobos has always been the standard library.

On the other hand, there are alternate runtime libraries (Tango being the most
popular alternate runtime library).

I haven't read the Tango book, so I wouldn't know much about it. Does it require
you to install Tango to learn D? I don't know if that's the best way to learn D.
Perhaps there's some documentation at the Tango website that will help you get
installed and set up. That'd be great news. Also, you might be able to get some
more information about Tango in their forums and through IRC:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Contact

But using Tango may not be the best way for a newbie to start out with D. It might
be easier to start out learning D by learning Phobos. YYMV.