Issue: Installing D

Chris Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:53:01 PST 2008

Chris Miller Wrote:
> I'm using the dsource mirror for DSSS, by the way.
>
> I'm going to try installing Tango a la DSSS, then see if Derelict works.
>
> I'll keep you posted in any event.

What transpired was really quite interesting, so I'll document it in order.

1) Tried dsss net install derelict.  It did not work because of the aforementioned string issue

2) Tried dsss uninstall derelict.  It said derelict was not installed.

3) Tried dsss net install tango.  It installed fine, but I didn't notice a message complaining of a missing Exception.d file.

4) Tried dsss net install derelict.  It worked this time (go figure!).

5) Tried this example to test the system:
import derelict.opengl.gl;
	import tango.io.Stdout;

	void main()
	{
		try
		{
			DerelictGL.load();
			Stdout("Successfully loaded the OpenGL shared library.").newline;
		}

		catch (Exception e)
			Stdout("Could not load the OpenGL shared library.").newline;
	}
It didn't work because of the missing Example.d file.  To build it I used "dsss build gl_test.d" though I also tried "rebuild gl_test.d" wondering if that would get different results (it didn't).

6) Considered playing a video game to take my mind off of the problem so that perhaps I'd attack it from a new angle next go around.

7) Didn't have any sufficiently interesting games installed (sorta why I'm building one).

8) Realized that there wasn't anything in my setup that couldn't be regenerated.  Fire-and-forget mode now activated.

9) Downloaded the current release of Tango/DMD (http://downloads.dsource.org/projects/tango/0.99.4/tango-0.99.4-bin-win32-dmd.1.024.zip) and unzipped it to \dmd, overwrote all files.

10) Tried to build the example file again.  Worked just fine.

11) Ran the example file.  Worked just fine.

So now I have these:
o Digital Mars D Compiler version 1.024
o Tango version 0.994
o Derelict
o DDBI

Which leaves only DWT off the list.  Assuming I follow the DWT-win instructions to the letter, I should get a working system, right?

At which point I'm planning on zipping the whole mess up and waiting until everything in the above list is available through DSSS :)