Issue: Installing D

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 17:48:44 PST 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:36:42 -0500, Chris Miller wrote:

> Jacob Carlborg Wrote:
>
>> Chris Miller wrote:

>> > Hmm, I don't know.  The version file says it's a compatible version
>> > (I think.)  It says version 0.995, which is >0.994, so it should work
>> > (right?)
>> >
>> > excerpt from Version.d:
>> >
>> > module tango.core.Version;
>> >
>> > public const Tango = 0.995f;
>> >

>> I think you have an old version of tango where they haven't changed to
>> fromStringz yet. As far as I know Tango 0.99.5 hasn't been released yet
>> but I've heard it will be soon. You can download the svn trunk, I
>> usually don't recompile the library I just replace the source files, I
>> think it should be enough.
>
> I downloaded this:
> http://downloads.dsource.org/projects/tango/snapshots/tango-bin-win32-
CURRENT-dmd.1.025.zip
> Which is the fourth link down on this page:
> http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/DmdDownloads Which I got to from
> here:
> http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Download From the "Get Tango" box
> here:
> http://dsource.org/projects/tango
>
> So you think it may be that that binaries aren't the right version, and
> that I should install Tango through DSSS?  Didn't someone say that
> installing Tango through DSSS was unreliable?
>
> Furthermore, if I install Tango through DSSS (dsss net install tango),
> how will I force it to use the DSSS installation and not the Tango
> already in :\dmd?  Will the DSSS installation take precedence over the
> :\dmd version by default?  Should I change some configuration settings
> in :\dsss?
>
> Getting scared and running back to Java isn't an option for me anymore,
> so you may be stuck with me ;)  After the Fibers in Tango I get real
> excited and thought "wow, this is the language for me!"  Fibers reminded
> me of the Python Generators I read about elsewhere.
>
> Thanks for your help, hopefully we can figure out the problem and fix
> it.  At which point someone should update the page on Wiki4D or
> something...

I don't really have suggestions, couldn't exactly follow what was being
asked or tried, but I'll see if I can explain some things.

DSSS builds against Phobos thus you can not install the Tango-dmd bundle
and then compile DSSS.

"Furthermore, if I install Tango through DSSS (dsss net install tango),
how will I force it to use the DSSS installation and not the Tango
already in :\dmd?"

This question really has me lost, I think you have some misunderstanding.
DSSS is a build tool that uses dmd, Tango is a run-time library for dmd
to link in. Thus you should be able to use DSSS, Tango and DMD as one big
happy family. I've never installed Tango with dsss netinstall nor have I
installed either in windows.

Hope I clarified something.