how to install?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Feb 21 00:26:59 PST 2008

Chris Miller wrote:

> Likewise, you can compile D without Phobos or Tango.  You won't have
> the object.d interface to the object structure, and you won't be able
> to do hardly anything, but you can compile real code into real
> executables which do real things on real processors.

Actually the standard library and needed runtime are joined-at-the-hip
in Phobos, so you need to implement a few selected routines from it.
(this is addressed in Tango, which splits the library into separate
entities for things like runtime and garbage collector for instance)

But, yeah, you can use D with the C standard library if you like...
In fact, this is still the way shown by the first "hello.d" in DMD.

> As a system library I think Tango is better.  Others prefer Phobos.
> Someone should combine the two and make a new library called Demos
> (after Mars' other moon).  I don't have the time, so I won't
> complain.

Actually the name "Deimos" has already been used for the etc.x.y
(Phobos being the "std" group, and Deimos being the "etc" group).
It is abandoned now, see: http://www.dsource.org/projects/deimos,
think the original idea was for code to move from Deimos to Phobos ?

So I guess it would better be called "Phoenix" or something...
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/mars_future.html

> But you should make the distinction between D and the
> library.  They're very different things.  That's of course assuming
> that there isn't some hidden magic functionality which needs
> otherwise.  But my Java example still holds (how else could they
> build JRuby?)

There is some hidden stuff, but in theory it's a very good idea
to try and separate concerns. Then again "Java" is also a pretty
horrible example on how to confuse different meanings of a word.
(Java, Java Virtual Machine, Java Desktop - and even Java ASP 4)

--anders