how to install?

glen worstell glen at worstell.com
Thu Feb 21 17:48:59 PST 2008

Chris Miller Wrote:

> I think you need to make a big distinction.  D is a programming language.  Phobos and Tango are libraries.
>
> Standard system libraries like Phobos and Tango are almost part of the language, but they're not.  I learned most everything I know about D by reading the DMD 1.0 specification document(1).

This seems to me to be very misleading to newbies to d. To clarify, in d the library (phobos or tango) IS part of the compiler implementation, and the compiler you get with tango is not the latest compiler and does not even implement the same language as you get with the latest version of phobos.

The problem for the user is that he/she has to choose one compiler/library over the other. You cannot use one compiler (version) with the other library.

In practice this means that if you spend some time coding with one and then decide to use the other, you will need to rewrite and retest a bunch of stuff.

The latest compiler version will probably always be the one that you get with phobos. As bug fixing and enhancements seem to be happening at a pretty good pace, this is a strong argument for phobos. OTHO, if you like the tango library better (and many people do) and you are satisfied with the particular implementation of the compiler that comes with it (and you don't think it has too many bugs and you don't think you need the d language that comes with the latest compiler which is different in small or sometimes big ways from the one that comes with tango) then you may be happy with tango.

IMHO, this situation is unnecessary and is really, really dumb. OTOH, this stuff is all free and it seems to be pretty good - good enough to use for real world applications. Therefore I want to be careful not to complain, so please take this paragraph as a plea from a user rather than a criticism. In fact, I offer a very large THANK YOU to the phobos team and to the tango team. Having coded in many different languages I offer my opinion of d: it's design is absolutely excellent, and it may someday replace c# as my favorite applications programming language.

g.