Walnut

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 01:39:03 PST 2008

Alan Knowles Wrote:

>   .
> >
> > Yes, except the object isn't to copy DMDScript without the license,
> > the objective is to create an engine that's significantly better.  At
> > the moment, I would say roughly half the code is written and I'm
> > using 108KB vs DMDScript's 513KB.  The parser is the only remaining
> > component before it can (incorrectly) run javascript files.  The rest
> > is debugging.
> >
> so is the idea to run the interpreter inside the parsing engine? or are
> you going to generate opcodes? - It wasn't quite clear?
>
> Regards
> Alan

Would you believe me if I said combinations of both?

For now I want to do this:
0) interpret top-level, and compile functions and loops to unoptimized native for execution (probably default behavior)

Later, I'd like it to be able to:
1) tokenize everything and serialize the output.
2) interpret everything on-the-fly, using bytecode for loops, functions
3) compile the whole program to unoptimized native and serialize the output.
4) run serialized token streams, and serialized compiled scripts.

I'm aware that's a tall order.  That's why I'm not scheduling all those for Walnut 2.0.  They'll come with following minor versions.

Regards,
Dan