Pause Self, Resume on Event

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 13:38:11 PDT 2008

Reading in a file.  Yes, Phobos has streams for when you actually need serious
features, but it has the dead simple read() function that doesn't require
instantiating a class or anything like that just to read a file into an array of
bytes.  To be perfectly honest, the only parts of Tango I've really looked at hard
are the threading and math stuff, since Tango is still basically for D1 only and
otherwise I haven't had a problem with Phobos, but AFAIK Tango is much more OO and
verbose than Phobos.  This isn't really a knock against it, it's really just
personal preference, not that one is "better" than the other.  On the other hand,
Phobos just doesn't have a lot of the features I'd like.

What I personally would like to see in the ideal world is for Phobos to become
analogous to the C++ standard lib, i.e. simple in both features and API, very
highly tested and optimized, "official", etc. and for Tango to become analogous to
Boost, i.e. more complex, feature-rich, etc. and more of a "standard add-on lib"
than a second "*the*" standard lib.  However, IDK how much they've diverged and
whether using them together will grow more or less feasible with time.