Pause Self, Resume on Event

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Jul 17 22:36:07 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> "dsimcha" <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:g5o4g7$2f5i$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> On another note, anyone have any idea when/if Tango for D2, and
>>> Tangobos for Tango
>>> for D2, will be available?  There are things I like and dislike about
>>> both Tango
>>> and Phobos, and I really wish I could mix and match modules from them
>>> without
>>> giving up my D2 features.  For example, I like Phobos's much simpler
>>> IO API, less
>>> "OO everywhere" look and feel and "simple operations should be
>>> simple" mentality,
>>
>> Why does everyone say that Tango is "OO everywhere"?  There are free
>> functions (or static functions) that correspond to most free functions
>> in Phobos.  Please, please give me some examples of what you believe
>> to be "OO everywhere."
>

> One example: there are no stand-alone writefln/writef or readfln/readf
> functions in Tango.

Is your issue here cosmetic or something else?  The Tango IO package is
largely class-based because it allows for a lot more flexibility.  A
function-based IO package couldn't easily support locales, for example.
  If this is a cosmetic issue then it would be trivial to alter the
calling convention to look exactly like writef / readf, but if it has
something to do with the involvement of objects at all then that would
obviously require a lot more work and the result would be much more
limited.  For this level of work I still suggest simply using the C
stdio routines.  After all, C++ doesn't even have function-based IO--it
simply wraps the C standard library as well.

Sean