Which text editors REALLY support D?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 00:19:07 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Don <nospam at nospam.com.au> wrote:

>> I use JEdit a lot.  It's Java-based, but it code-highlights for D and the
>> indentation isn't that bad.  It could be better, but it's free, works, and
>> it's certainly smaller than the Eclipse footprint (much less the
>> Eclipse+Descent footprint!)
>
> Does it lex correctly?
> Graying out nested comments is the #1 thing I want in a text editor. I'm
> appalled that so few of the editors advertised as being for D can actually
> satisfy such a trivial requirement.

I reckon most D modes that exist were created by making minor tweaks
to existing C++ modes, and C++ doesn't have nested comments so the
infrastructure isn't there.  It was one of the harder things to figure
out how to get working with the emacs D mode.

(testing mail gateway for the first time, so this may not work...)

--bb