is D so slow?

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 06:47:35 PDT 2008

"baleog" <maccarka at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:g32umu$11kq$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Tomas Lindquist Olsen Wrote:
>
>> What switches did you use to compile? Not much info you're giving ...
>
> Ubuntu-6.06
> dmd-2.0.14 - 40sec witth n=500
> dmd -O -release -inline test.d
> gdc-0.24 - 32sec
> gdmd -O -release test.d
> and gcc-4.0.3 - 1.5sec
> gcc test.c
>
> so gcc without optimization runs 20 times faster than gdc
> but i can't find how to suppress array bound checking

Array bounds checking is off as long as you specify -release.

I don't know if your computer is just really, REALLY slow, but out of
curiosity I tried running the D program on my computer.  It completes in 1.2
seconds.

Also, using malloc/free vs. new/delete shouldn't much matter in this
program, because you make all of three allocations, all before any loops.
The GC is never going to be called during the program.