is D so slow?

Fawzi Mohamed fmohamed at mac.com
Mon Jun 16 08:36:28 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-16 16:40:16 +0200, Fawzi Mohamed <fmohamed at mac.com> said:

> On 2008-06-16 16:32:56 +0200, Fawzi Mohamed <fmohamed at mac.com> said:
>
>> On 2008-06-15 13:53:30 +0200, baleog <maccarka at yahoo.com> said:
>>
>>> Thank you for your replies! I used malloc instead of new and run time
>>> was about 1sec
>>
>> But you probably did not understand why... and it seems that neither
>> did others around here...
>>
>> Indeed it is a subtle pitfall in which it is easy to fall.
>>
>> When you benchmark
>> 1) print something depending on the result like the sum of everything
>> (it is not the main issue in this case, but doing it would have
>> probably shown the problem), so you can also have at least a tiny
>> chance to notice if your algorithm is wrong
>>
>> 2) NaNs
>
> ehm, sorry...
> You do initialize everything...
> ehm, never post without testing...
>
> Fawzi

I tested... and well I was actually right (I should have trusted my gut
feeling a little more...)

NaN is the culprit.

check your algorithm (you initialize, backwards for some strange
reason) just part of the arrays...
putting
  xs[] = 1.0;
  ys[] = 2.0;
instead of your strange loops, solves everything...

Fawzi