listing multiple unit test failures

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 06:32:12 PDT 2008

Christopher Wright wrote:
> Robert Fraser wrote:
>> Not to knock on Mr. Wright's solution, which is probably excellent and
>> more directly addressable to the problem at hand, but I'm working on a
>> solution (designed to use IPC to be used from other applications,
>> etc.) that does just this and a lot more. Check:
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent/browser/trunk/descent.unittest/flute/src/org/dsource/descent/unittests/flute.d
>>

>> And the docs at:
>> http://svn.dsource.org/projects/descent/trunk/descent.unittest/flute/doc/flute.html
>>

> Flute seems like a general solution that can easily be adapted to DUnit,
> and that support would increase the popularity of DUnit. But can I use
> Flute today?

Not unless you're on Windows/Phobos/D1 (I haven't gotten around to
updating it for supporting other configs, since it's not officially
being released until I get it integrated into Descent, which is a much
larger project than Flute itself).

> Flute plus standard D unittests will be a smaller commitment than DUnit,
> and will require somewhat less from programmers. But there's value in
> requiring organization and separation for your tests, I think. For one,
> it's easier to abstract out shared setup code, and be certain that that
> won't be included in your release builds.

Strongly agreed. xUnit is a much better solution for large-scale
development, but sticking mini unit tests in your code is hlpful during
development phases.

> Your trick for naming unittests is also scary. It works, though, I'll
> give it that. Against all odds, and without having to run any of the tests.

Indeed, indeed. It would be very helpful if D allowed unittest(name) { }
syntax.

Flute is mainly designed to be integrated into frontends, in particular
Descent and CruiseControl. It would be brilliant if I could get DUnit
tests in there, too, sicne as D moves towards large enterprise-class
solutions, stronger unit testing support is certainly needed. Would it
be okay if I added DUnit support alongside Flute support to Descent and
to my Ant/CruiseControl plugin when I get around to doing that?