whatever I do, things get slower and bigger

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Mar 14 17:31:58 PDT 2008

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> Christopher Wright wrote:
>> Robert Fraser wrote:
>>> grep for 'delete' in the front-end code. It's not there very much :-).
>>
>> Maybe Walter should use the Boehm collector for the frontend?
>
> Doesn't he already do that? (He has often stated he uses a collector,
> and I'm not aware of any others for C++)

There's a mem.h that looks designed to potentially wrap a GC, but the
actual implementation just calls system malloc and free.
Contains the comment:
/* This implementation of the storage allocator uses the standard C
allocation package.
  */

That package's mem.malloc is used in constfold.c where a lot of the CTFE
magic happens, so maybe wiring up mem.c to Boehm would fix it.  Looks
like it wouldn't be too difficult to try out for someone who is able to
build a working compiler.  So far that does not include me. :-(

--bb