Can't Use GDB: Dwarf Error: Could not find abbrev number XX

Brian White bcwhite at pobox.com
Sun Mar 23 13:06:31 PDT 2008

I'm building a D program under Linux using the "Digital Mars D Compiler
v2.010".  The program builds and runs just fine, but when I try to run
it under GDB, it fails:

$ /home/bcwhite/dmd/bin/dmd aa.d -c -ofaa.o -g -debug -unittest
$ /home/bcwhite/dmd/bin/dmd bb.d -c -ofbb.o -g -debug -unittest
$ /home/bcwhite/dmd/bin/dmd cc.d -c -ofcc.o -g -debug -unittest

$ ~/dmd/bin/dmd -of../bin/dtest aa.o bb.o cc.o -debug -unittest
gcc aa.o bb.o cc.o -o ../bin/dtest -g -m32 -Xlinker
-L/home/bcwhite/dmd/bin/../lib -lphobos2 -lpthread -lm

$ gdb ../dtest
GNU gdb 6.4.90-debian
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...Dwarf Error: Could not
find abbrev number 86 [in module /home/bcwhite/build/bin/dtest]

I've tried several different programs but the results is always this
"dwarf error" though the abbrev number changes.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-- Brian