[OT]Re: Books...

Manfred Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Sat May 10 03:00:21 PDT 2008

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

> If someone provided us with such information in private
> communication (which is easy to accomplish), then this would be
> true.

I disagree.

If someone has the (legal) (co-)ownership of some information, which is
believed to be not in common knowledge, then only in rare circumstances
one has the right to restrict the channel of distributions for that
information.

Without this principle you would not have been able to publish your
book. But the same principle holds for Bob and his information of
existing torrents.

> did in a followup show that he thinks such breaches of
> copyright are ok.

I disagree. To me his statements do not expose such a thinking.

He only emphasizes the pure fact, that there exists a free _torrent_
for _some_ ebook, which looks like to be the one of you and your
colleagues. Bob did not give any clue, that the "advertized" ebook is
indeed that of you and your colleagues.

Furthermore it seems to be unknown, where Bob resides and therefore it
is pure speculation that he might be bound to some copyright laws.

-manfred