[OT]Re: Books...

Manfred Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Sun May 11 00:47:49 PDT 2008

Yigal Chripun wrote:

> Do all the books in the library have a copyright that specifically
> allows a "try before you buy" basis "without the prior written
> permission", as you say? of course not.

Although I myself like to use crude allegories to make my arguments
more clear, I fail to recognize the impact here. This is because a
library _should_ hold legal copies of sources and there is no copying
involved in legal usages of libraries.

> Let me ask you my question again (slightly differently):
> Had I sent a paycheck to the authors and then downloaded the book
> via the above torrent, would I still be violating the copyright?

Yes, unless you have some more assertions. Please see my other postings
for some of those assertions.

> as long as I've paid the authors it shouldn't matter that much if
> I used the torrent link or downloaded via the official site.

Your respect has to go to the publisher as well.

-manfred