[OT]Re: Books...

janderson askme at me.com
Mon May 12 08:21:10 PDT 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>> Reply to Robert,

>>> That's Oracle's model -
>>
>> <G> I've heard of people's dealings with them. (They at one point
>> tried to sell the state of Oregon one seat for every person in the state)
>>
>> However...
>>
>>> "we'll fix bugs the bugs you want us to if you
>>> pay us to". That is, for an exorbitant fee, you can have the bugs that
>>> affect your system prioritized.
>>
>> nix the exorbitant fee and replace it with a reasonable one ...
>>
>>> (That's after charging $50k a seat for
>>> the software
>>
>> charge nothing for the program to began with...
>>
>>> and asking companies to pay a full-time Oracle consultant
>>> to fix the numerous problems that add in their software to keep any
>>> other DBA from touching it.)
>>
>> give a "nice user experience"...
>>

>>> What this does, is makes the company put out a buggy, hard-to-use
>>> piece of software (since they'll make more money if they fix fewer
>>> bugs).
>>
>> and somehow avoid human nature regarding that and you might actually
>> be able to make it work.
>
> Aye, there's the rub.
>
>> As I said, it would be an experiment.
>
> I'll give you that it would be an interesting experiment, but in my
> software, I'd rather prioritize the bugs that affect the largest group
> of users or are more important to the system in general than the ones
> that affect the highest-paying users. New features, though, I'd be more
> willing to see an auction system for.

I think Walter should instrument a policy where people can pay for
certain bugs to be moved up in the prioritization queue.  It may even
make companies feel safer using DMD if they can pay for particular bugs
to be fixed.  However you'd have to be careful with a system like that,
that high priority bugs are not just left there because they generate a
lot of cash.  Maybe the money could go slowly down overtime, or people
could withdraw their money if the bug was not fixed within there time
frame.

Then I guess it could work like this.  Someone would post if you get bug
X finished by Data Y then I'll pay you $G.

-Joel