plans for macros

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 08:32:09 PDT 2008

"janderson" wrote
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> I'm not sure if this solves your problem.  Here's an interesting syntax
>>> I discovered in 1.01 (haven't checked other versions).
>>>
>>> void LogIt(alias func)()
>>> {
>>>   if (true)
>>>   {
>>>     printf(func());
>>>   }
>>> }
>>>
>>> LogIt!( { char[] test = "test"; return test.ptr; } )();
>>>
>>> LogIt!( { return "test"; } )();  //You couldn't do this.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I don't want to update my compiler at this time to see if
>>> this would work in new versions.
>>>
>>> I also wonder if it could be simpled by wrapping it in something else ->
>>> thoughts?  Its a pretty cool technique, essentially a inlined function
>>> pointer.
>>>
>>> If alias could be replaced with the word lazy string and have D add the
>>> extra sugar we'd be set.
>>
>> Lazy evaluation is already supported, and already adds the extra sugar
>> (not sure if 1.01 does though).
>
> For templates?  1.01 does support lazy for as function parameters but not
> as template parameters.

Why do you need a template?  A template seems like a step backwards in ease
of use.  I'd rather have just a lazy parameter where calling it is as easy
as:

LogIt("test");

>> The problem I'm trying to solve is lazy evaluation of variadic arguments.
>> And in general, lazy evaluation is not as efficient as a macro would
>> be --  there would be no automatic delegate generated, especially if
>> variadic arguments need a delegate per argument, which would generate n
>> delegates.
>>
>> I really think macros are the best solution to this problem, but I was
>> wondering how easy it would be to make macros look like member functions
>> of a class, and if they will support variadic arguments.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> Templates are just as efficient as macros, particularly if u use the mixin
> syntax (ie force inlining of the template function itself).

mixin would probably work, but again, the syntax is not as appealing as a
macro:

log.formatInfo(...);

vs

mixin!(log.formatInfo, ...);

(don't know if this is right, I don't use mixins a lot)

-Steve