Tango / Phobos / future dilemma

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 18:02:19 PDT 2008

"Spacen Jasset" <spacen at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:g1fgst$o0r$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Hello,
>
> Currently I am using phobos for my work, which suit at the moment since I
> am mainly using opengl.
>
> Unfortunately I would like use a library that requires Tango, and there is
> yet another library that I would like to use that is coded for phobos.
> Since they both incorporate a core runtime I presume that this situation
> is impossible without akward workarounds?
>

> Secondly, I have an uneasy feeling about the situation whereby there are
> two libraries that function independently of each other. What lies ahead
> for this state of affairs; and indeed, what is Walter's and the Tango
> team's position on it?

Well at the D con last year (which was almost a year ago), Walter and the
Tango team decided that the two libraries could coexist, as long as they had
a common runtime, or something along those lines.  After the con, Walter
made a few changes to the Phobos runtime and, ... well, nothing since then.
D2 has been the all-encompassing focus of Walter's efforts since about the
same time.

Sad, since this is _really_ an issue that needs to be addressed.  No, I take
that back: this should have been addressed _ages ago_.