c style coding on dmd

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 12:52:28 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:04 PM, ore-sama <spam at here.lot> wrote:
> ViktorKrescvohn Wrote:
>
>> i used to c-style pointer heavy programming, is it wise to code c-style on d platfrom, i mean by turning off GC and stuff.
>
> I think, turning off GC is possible if you rewrite Phobos or get rid of it completely.

You can also do:

GC.disable();

But giving up the GC means giving up some features, like array
concatenation and associative, not because they wouldn't work, but
because they would leak memory and there would be no way to free the
garbage that they create.

Long story short - why use D if you aren't going to be able to take
advantage of the very things that make it cool?