which version of D for beginers?

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 01:06:05 PST 2008

Fei wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new D learner but I'm wondering which version of D is suitable for
> me. v1, or v2?
>
> When D 2 is out, it seems to be apparent that I should go directly to v2.
> But my intention of using D is to create small desktop application for
> windows, which needs GUI library of cource. I checked out that DFL is only
> support v1 (correct?), so I'm really need your suggestions.
>
> Thanks.

I recommend D1 for the following reasons:

- like you said, there are so much more libraries available.
- the compiler has fewer bugs, especially when learning a language it can be
tricky to notice and workaround bugs in the compiler
- D2 is still subject to change, which means new releases can break your
code. This is a good thing for the language, but requires extra effort on
your part.

There are a few changes that need to be done when porting code from D1 to
D2. It may be helpful to find out what those are at an early stage and
program your applications with these in mind. That will help when D2 is
more stabilized and you want to switch in the future.

Good luck and enjoy the language.