gc heap

Sam S E asdf at mailinator.com
Sun Nov 23 19:59:19 PST 2008

Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Sam S E <asdf at mailinator.com> wrote:
> > Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

> >> What's that supposed to mean?
> >
> > There are many useful and interesting features that are planned but unimplemented.
> >

> ...like what?

See http://s3.amazonaws.com/dconf2007/WalterAndrei.pdf.
There are some amazing feature listed there. I can't think of anything else I'd like to see implemented (except for automatic type inference of substructs in struct literals).

I don't know how to explain those, so I'll give an example:

struct Foo
{
    int a;
    int b;
}

struct Bar
{
    Foo f;
    real asdf;
}

auto def = Bar(Foo(1, 42), 13.7);  //current
Bar def = {{1, 42}, 13.7};            //C-style
                                                 //downside: only possible if you initialize
                                                 //when you declare
auto def = Bar({1, 42}, 13.7);      //Bar for clarity, Foo obvious
                                        //simpler, especially with many nested structs

I've gotten pretty far off topic; this probably deserves it's own thread by now.
--Sam