Dynamic Libaries in D

BLS nanali at nospam-wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 12 09:51:16 PDT 2008

Lars Ivar Igesund schrieb:
> Tim M wrote:
>
>> Can someone help me with dynamic libraries in d. I've seen this
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/dll.html as an example of windows dll and
>> a similar example of using tango here
>> http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/TutDLL but both say multiple
>> threads not supported. How can I make a dll in d that supports multi
>> threads.
>>
>> I would also like to make linux modules so how can I do the initialization
>> and finalization for those or can the compiler do it for me without coding
>> it?
>
> Unless you really need DLL's, and not only dynamic libraries - look into
> DDL.
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddl

I can't agree with Lars "Snowman" Igesund. DDL is not ready for
production use. (Especially related to ix based systems)

Windows DMD created DLL's are almost un-useable.
No classes, no threads, no exeption handling.

I am using DMD DLLs nevertheless (simply by creating wrappers functions
around classes), but in general I would like to say:

Using DMD shared libs is like bying tools from Shitty Butthead very LTD
and I am afraid the situation will not change for quit a while.

Bjoern