Strange DSSS/Tango compile error

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 16:55:39 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Jarrett Billingsley
<jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Robert Kosek
> <robert.kosek at thewickedflea.com> wrote:
>> Sergey Gromov wrote:
>>>
>>> May I recommend you to try 'bud' ?
>>> http://dsource.org/projects/build
>>>
>>> It's a single executable, pretty similar to 'rebuild' and can be used like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> bud rpg.d
>>>
>>> I've had weird problems with rebuild recently.
>>
>> Thanks for the recommendation.  That, plus one other thing, fixed my whole
>> problem.  Thanks a bunch!
>>
>> I'll definitely be using Bud from now on. ;-)
>
> Keep in mind, though, that Bud is ancient and the author has, I
> believe, stated that he is no longer interested in maintaining it.
> There are undoubtedly times when it will break.

Well, part right.
It is ancient, but the author has stated on a number of occasions in
the not too distant past that a new version would be released "next
week".
But the author has also said most recently that he has no interest D1
any more and D2 changes too fast.
So I'm not sure where that leaves Bud.

On the other hand the author of DSSS has said he won't have much time
for it either, now that he's in grad school.  And he hasn't responded
to questions about the speed issues with the most recent DSSS release.

So... I think maybe it's a difficult choice between the two build
tools right now.  May be a good time to give SCONS a look.  :-)

--bb