Where to find COFF2OMF ?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 21:30:51 PDT 2008

Hello Jarrett,

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM, John Reimer <terminal.node at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Is Uuid.lib an import library?  It doesn't look like it.  If it's a
>> static library, you won't be able to convert it to omf with the
>> coffimplib or coff2omf tools.
>>
> ..which is, incidentally, what he was looking for in the first place
> ;)

Oh right. :)

> Unfortunately coff2omf is not free, you have to buy the $15 Extended
> Utilities Package to get it.

My point was that I don't think he'll have success even with coff2omf on
a static library.  A micrsoft compiled library in coff format is not likely
(unless it be very simple...eg created with assembler) to work with digitalmars
compiler even once it's converted to omf format (although I expect coff2omf
to fail before it even gets to there).  I've searched for tools that do this;
and there are a few out there, but most of them give disclaimers describing
why object conversion (from system to system) is likely to fail.  That is,
the tool might succeed in the conversion, but the resulting library might
be prove non-functional.  Naturally, I could be wrong here... and would be
excited to find out that I was. :)

See this link:

http://www.agner.org/optimize/

On the same page is a object file converter tool that is capable of converting
across all sorts of formats (elf, coff, omf, etc).  The manual for the tool
may be downloaded from the site as well.  On page 15-17 of that manual, it
describes why there will be conversion problems when trying to convert a
library from one object format to another.

Incidently, maybe the OP can make use of the above mentioned tool, which
is free. :)

-JJR