"Learn to Tango with D" - The way to go?

AEon aeon2001 at lycos.de
Fri Sep 19 07:32:01 PDT 2008

I just now got "Learn to Tango with D" and was wondering what the
thoughts of the more seasoned programmers are on the subject of Tango.

As far as I could find out Tango will only run with dmd v1.030, so I
would not actually compare, Tango and Phobos under v1.030 but:

    Tango with dmd v1.030 - and - Phobos with dmd v2.014 alpha

I'd be very much interested in comments, what things were very useful or
elegant in everyday use.

Is it actually possible to mix Phobos and Tango lib access? Because if
Tango uses differently names function names, it would basically mean
"rewriting" and Phobos centric code?

I have to admit I "have mixed feelings" about Tango, because my about 5K
lines of code used Phobos, and Phobos is the original standard lib that
came with D. So I feel like a traitor using or thinking  about using
Tango. Strange that Kris Bell should "turn his back on Phobos" by
promoting Tango in a book.

I am still trying to learn about the everyday use of Classes, and hope
to learn it with D. So any library that has useful - mostly string
operations, regular expressions (log parsing stuff) - is fine with me,
since I don't really go for the "deep stuff", yet.

AEon