How to check for internet connectivity and download file?

Tyro[a.c.edwards] nospam at home.com
Mon Apr 27 04:08:03 PDT 2009

On 4/27/2009 5:14 PM, Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
> If you want both HTTP and FTP, it's definitely worth using a library for
> it. There are a lot of options, but almost all of them are out of date I
> suppose for 2.x...
>
> I've always hated curl, but you might look at how hard it is to get/make
> d headers for it. This might work fine for you.

Apparently Kenneth Bogert did some work on curl a while back. cURL
happens to host it on their site so I'll give it a shot.

> HTTP is relatively easy. You can see a sample in
> dmd/samples/d/htmlget.d. This isn't exactly a right example, because it
> completely ignores Transfer-Encoding, but if you search and replace
> HTTP/1.1 with HTTP/1.0, it should be usable.... although the check for

I'll take a look at it. I'm sure there is something there worth learning.

> FTP is more work. You have to send and receive commands, so it's slower.
> It's also worth maintaining state if you download more than one file
> from the same server.
>
> I have a library that does it, but unfortunately it's for 1.x. I'm
> planning to update it, but I won't be able to for a little while. I
> could explain what you need to do if you want to mess with the socket
> stuff...

I'm virtually hopeless when it comes to these things so will happily
accept assistance in whatever form I can get it. If you are willing to
explain I will graciously accept the lesson.

> But again, it's complicated enough it's not a good idea to do it
> yourself imho unless you like reading RFCs (I do, but I'm a strange one.)

Can't say I have much fondness for RFCs but over time that might change.
As for being a strange one... well I'm as strange as they come so I will
not be passing judgment anytime soon.