problem creating a berkeley db binding

Sergey Gromov snake.scaly at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 10:04:50 PDT 2009

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:28:16 -0400, JT wrote:

> i'm trying to create a binding for berkeley db dll and quickly ran
> into some problems, how do i translate statement below.
>
> int DB->open(DB *db, DB_TXN *txnid, const char *file,
>     const char *database, DBTYPE type, u_int32_t flags, int mode);

This is not a valid C or C++ statement, nor a declaration.  It's usually
hard to translate an invalid code to a different language.

> my normal approach would be,
>
> extern (C) {
> 	int function(DB* db, DB_TXN* txnid, char* file, char* database, DBTYPE type, u_int32_t flags, int mode) DB->open;
> }

If open() is a method of DB struct then it uses some sort of C++ calling
convention, probably thiscall.  Thiscall is incompatilbe with cdecl, so
extern(C) won't work.

> but real problem is 'DB->open', can anoybody suggest a workaround for
> this. DB is just a simple struct (struct DB;)

I can only guess here that what you want is

extern(C++) interface DB {
    int open(DB_TXN* txnid, char* file, char* database, DBTYPE type, u_int32_t flags, int mode);
}

But, without a link to source you try to bind to, it's only a wild
guess.