Error: constant false is not an lvalue

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Sun Aug 30 20:42:47 PDT 2009

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Rainer Deyke<rainerd at eldwood.com> wrote:
>> The purpose of default initialization is not to find or reduce bugs, but
>> to reduce the size of legal programs.
>
> I'm wondering where the heck you got that justification.

By looking at the actual effect of default initialization on the
language.  Imagine D without default initialization.  This would be a
syntax error:
  int i;
Instead, you would have to write this:
  int i = 0;

Clearly this imaginary variant of D is no more error-prone than D as it
actually is.  If anything, it is less error-prone, because it forces you
to be explicit about how you want your variables to be initialized.  It
is, however, more verbose.

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com