Is there a reason for default-int?

BCS none at anon.com
Tue Dec 29 19:38:45 PST 2009

Hello Ary,

> Don wrote:
>
>> Phil Deets wrote:

>>> C++ abandoned default int. I think it would be best for D to do the
>>> same.
>>>
>> D never had default int. When there's an error, the compiler just has
>> to choose *some* type, so that it doesn't crash <g>.
>>
> It could be an Error type (that's not an alias for int type) that
> don't start to spit errors everywhere and instead just blocks all
> further errors on that type.

that poses an interesting question: what "type" does this this give?

int i;
char[] s;

int foo(int);
char[] foo(int,char[]);
int[] foo(char[],int);

auto whatType = foo(i ~ s, s);

i~s gives the error type but DMD could tell that as long as the other args
are correct, the only foo that works returns a char[] so does the variable
get the error type or char[]?