switch off GC?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 18:54:24 PST 2009

Weed wrote:
> It is possible to disable GC?

Yes.  See std.gc or tango.core.Memory.

> That it has not been included in result binary for an increasing
> performance of ref operations and reduction of the size of the binary

I don't know what "ref operations" are, but odds are disabling the GC
will not alter their performance.  Disabling the GC just prevents
collections from occurring.  Collections ONLY occur during allocation,
so the only thing you'll speed up are allocations.

Whilst it's possible to replace the GC in D, it's not exactly
straightforward.  I'm not sure what the situation with Phobos is, but
last I checked, the GC is built as part of Phobos, so you would need to
make a custom version.

Tango is slightly better in this respect; the GC is compiled separately,
and is then linked in.  I also believe Tango has a "stub" GC that
doesn't actually do any garbage collection; you just need to link that
in instead of the proper GC.

  -- Daniel