Learning by Doing: dimensioning units or geometric algebra?

BCS none at anon.com
Tue Feb 3 19:50:02 PST 2009

Hello Joel,

> Hello all,
>
> I'm a C programmer with some C++ experience ("C with Classes"+STL
> anyway; never did implement anything but the most trivial templates)
> and I'm looking to get stated with D. I figured a good way to do that
> would be to implement a template library, and it may as well be
> something I'll actually use. Here's what I'm thinking I could make:
>
> . a library for dimensional analysis, like boost::units, and/or
> . a set of classes for 2-dimensional Geometric Algebra (scalars, vectors,
> and pseudoscalars/imaginary numbers).

I'd suggest going with the GA option as I don't remember seeing one and I
know of at least 3 units libs: 1 runtime and 2 compile time. In full disclosure,
I wrote one of each of those. The only one I can find now is my compile time
one:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/scrapple/browser/trunk/units

> Should I start with D1 for now, or jump right in to D2?

As for me I'd stick with 1.0 as it is more stable and for the above stuff
good enough. But that's just me.