Encoding of eol in multiline wysiwyg strings

grauzone none at example.net
Tue Feb 17 07:02:39 PST 2009

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:41 AM, KlausO <oberhofer at users.sf.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> does the D specification specify how the "end of line" is encoded when you
>> use wysiwyg strings. Currently it seems to be '\n' on windows
>> (And I guess it will '\n' on linux, too.).
>> Is this the intended behaviour ?
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/lex.html
>
> "Wysiwyg Strings
>
> Wysiwyg quoted strings are enclosed by r" and ". All characters
> between the r" and " are part of the string except for EndOfLine which
> is regarded as a single \n character."
>
>> It's not a big issue but somtimes when you use wysiwyg strings, string
>> concatenation and import expressions to combine some text the result is a
>> string with mixed EOL encodings.
>> Thanks for clarifying,
>
> It's the import() expression that's messing things up.  It just loads
> the file verbatim and does no line-ending conversions.

But many people would like to use import() to read binary data.

I guess one could extend the language specification to solve this:

//load, convert line endings, check for valid UTF-8
char[] import_text(char[] filename);

//return unchanged file contents as byte array
ubyte[] import_binary(char[] filename);

On the other hand, both could be implemented as compile-time functions
using the current import().