CUDA with D?

Chris R Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 01:21:50 PST 2009

Trass3r wrote:
> Is there any tutorial or code for using CUDA with D?

Short answer: no.

I looked into writing CUDA with D a while back.  The problem is that the
CUDA C runtime and the D runtime are 100% incompatible.  CUDA works by
taking C-like code and compiling it with a special NVCC compiler, which
emits code that's specifically for NVIDIA GPUs.

I found that it would be *possible* to take NVCC and write a D-frontend
for it (The MathWorks did it for their MATLAB language), but that was a
lot more work that I was willing to do in order to do stupid things like
see how fast my graphics card can count to a million.

I hope you have better luck!  Maybe something has changed... maybe an
LLVM->NVCC bridge (so you could take the LDC frontend and plug it into
NVCC and there you go?  I don't know, it'd be cool, but I *highly* doubt
it exists).