timezone problem

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 16:04:43 PST 2009

Kagamin wrote:
<snip>
> Even windows doesn't have this kind of heuristics. The only solution
> is to keep all timestamps in UTC and leave local time representation
> only for user eyes and don't care about its precision.

That's the best thing indeed for timestamps and the like.  For some
other kinds of applications, different methodologies'll be needed.

> See also
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/datetime/dstbugs.aspx

The bugs pertaining to that page are probably as bad as the bug it tries
to describe.

But I wonder: Is there any sensible way that M$ could eventually paint
itself out of this corner?

Stewart.