Cross-references in ddoc

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Sat Jul 4 09:35:38 PDT 2009

I've seen both Tango and phobos documentation and it's really hard to
navigate. Consider this:

class HttpPost {

   void[] write(Pump pump)

}

Pump has no link on it. I can't tell what Pump is. I can see the source
code (in the web page) invokes super.write(pump), or something like
that, so I go to HttpClient and there it's not defined.

I open Tango's source code and I find this:

alias void delegate (IBuffer) Pump;

So some questions:

1. (minor problem) Why isn't this appearing in the documentation?
2. (major problem) How do you expect users to use your code if they
can't know what a given method accepts, or what that type is, or how to
find where a type that's returned by a function is defined?

Documentation is *really* important when programming.

3. Is this a limitation in ddoc?
4. Is there a tool to generate documentation with cross-references?
5. Would it help if Descent generated cross-referenced documentation for
a project?