Expanded source code

Paul D. Anderson paul.d.removethis.anderson at comcast.andthis.net
Fri Jun 19 14:00:54 PDT 2009

Ary Borenszweig Wrote:

> Paul D. Anderson wrote:
> > Paul D. Anderson Wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way to see the source for a D program after the mixins and templates, etc., are expanded?
> >>
> >> I get occasional error messages saying I've got incompatible types, for example, but the error message only makes sense when I mentally instantiate a template. Is there a way to see this instantiation in print?
> >>
> >> At what phase of compilation does this occur? Has the code been tokenized? (It's okay with me if it is--I just want to know.)
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>

> > Thanks for the help. So the short answer is no.
>
> I thought the short answer was yes. Did you try Descent? You can hover a
> template instance to see it's expansion. Same goes with mixins. Doesn't
> this help you?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I appreciate your help, but...

I don't use Descent -- the last time I tried to use it (and I know it's been improved a lot) I couldn't get it installed properly.

But it sounds like Descent does what I want. I was looking for a non-IDE specific variety. And, oh yeah, I need it for D2. Maybe I'll peek at the Descent implementation and see if I can't come up with something that I can pull from there.

Again, thanks.

Paul