finding dmd.conf

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Sun Mar 1 09:44:30 PST 2009

Lutger wrote:
> Jesse Phillips wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:54:46 +0100, Lutger wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having some trouble with dmd.conf. I set up a (soft) symbolic link
>>> to the dmdxxxx/bin path version I want to use, but dmd can't find
>>> dmd.conf:
>>>
>>> $> which dmd
>>> /home/lutger/code/bin/dmd/bin/dmd
>>> $> dmd main.d
>>> object.d: module object cannot read file 'object.d' $>
>>> /home/lutger/code/bin/dmd/bin/dmd main.d $>
>>>
>>> Fully specifying the path works, and putting dmd.conf in /etc also
>>> works, but is less than ideal. This is in bash (Konsole) on OpenSuse
>>> 11.1.
>>>
>>> Anybody an idea what I am doing wrong?
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "symbolic link to the dmdxxxx/bin path
>> version I want..."
>>
>> DMD looks in only 2 places for dmd.conf, the location of the dmd
>> executable, in your case /home/lutger/code/bin/dmd/bin/, and /etc/
>
> It also looks in HOME and the current directory.
>
> I should have explained clearer. I have setup 3 installations of D that I
> use:
>
> ~/code/bin/dmd1033/bin
> ~/code/bin/dmd1037/bin
> ~/code/bin/dmd2025/bin
>
> Then I make a symbolic link to one a these paths:
> ~/code/bin/dmd/bin

What you could do is, undo what you've done so far, then make a symbolic
link like this:

cd ~/code/bin
ln -s dmd1033 dmd

then put ~/code/bin/dmd/bin into your PATH.

Now it should work.

Any time you want to switch version, just do

cd ~/code/bin
rm dmd
ln -s dmd2025 dmd

and now you're using dmd v2025.

I just tested this with dmd1040 and dmd2025, so it works.