Moving from 1.0 to D2

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Mar 10 08:15:36 PDT 2009

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 17:55:48 -0400, jicman wrote:
>>
>> How much different is D2 vs. D1?
>
> Much.  Much much much ;)  It's almost another language.

But most of the differences aren't breaking changes.  You'll encounter
some problems with string literals because of the new const features,
but much of the rest should "just work."

> One thing to keep in mind is, D2 is a quickly moving target.  You may
> need fixes that are released in a version of dmd, but design changes in
> that version may break your code in other ways.  It might be best for
> professional software products to wait until D2 is released before
> trying to port.

I expect the features already in D2 to stay largely as-is, so I wouldn't
be terribly concerned about targeting D2 from that perspective.

> Also, I'm not sure if the 3rd party libs you are using are ported yet...

This is by far the biggest issue in my mind.