Dear toolchain...

Simen Haugen simen at norstat.no
Tue Mar 10 12:12:42 PDT 2009

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Simen Haugen <simen at norstat.no> wrote:
>> I'm waist deep in problems, and have no idea how to get up.
>>
>> I have a program that uses d1, dmd, tango, ddbi, dwt and dwin. Some time ago
>> I discovered that the program would no longer compile, and I have several
>> features and bugfixes long overdue.
>>
>> It seems the problem happens during linking, but as I get no error what so
>> ever it's a bit hard for me to track down. The project is about 30kloc.
>>
>> I've tried both dsss and rebuild. Dsss at least says rebuild exits with a
>> status code 1, but still no hints on where the error might be.
>> My guess is that this is a bug with lib.exe or link.exe, but I might be far
>> off...
>>
>> I'm using D for several other programs, but don't keep a log for what
>> versions I used when the projects last compiled... I've tried several
>> different versions of both the compiler and the various libs, but as I said,
>> I keep no log, so it's kind of a shot in the dark...
>>
>> I've spent at least 8 hours so far trying to locate the error with no luck.
>> Does anyone have any good ideas how I can proceed?
>> Or perhaps a pointer in the direction for narrowing down my search?
>
> Some thoughts:
> For the longest time DMD 1.037 was the most recent version that would
> work for me and my DWT app.  So that might be a good version to try if
> you haven't already.
>
> One thing that bit me when I was trying to try out different compilers
> -- the new directory layout is different, so you need to make sure
> you're really using the compiler you think you're using.  If you set
> up your path to have dmd/windows/bin on your path, but you install an
> older compiler over top of an existing install, you'll still be using
> the newer compiler because of your PATH setting.
>
> Other than that, the only way to find these things is pretty much to
> comment out chunks of your program until it compiles, and try to
> narrow it down that way.
>
> --bb

I noticed the new directory structure, so that's not the issue.
I'll try .37 and commenting out stuff (I was using .28 for a long time,
but I was still using this when the compiling started failing).
One problem with commenting out code is that compilation takes a lot of
time (especially for dwt) - For some reason rebuild seem to do a full
compilation even if I have dwt precompiled and use -llDD-dwt, or perhaps
I'm just a bit stupid :|