recognizing asciiz, utf ...

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:15:52 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:04 PM, newbee <newbee at newbee.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How does one check for asciiz, utf ...?
> I do get a buffer with characters as parameter in a function, but i don’t know if it is asciiz or utf or wchar. Is it possible to find out in dmd1 and dmd2?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

How are you getting this buffer?  What type is it, char[]?  D strings
are supposed to be Unicode, always.  If you read the data in from a
file, there's little to no guarantee as to what encoding it is (unless
it started with a Unicode BOM).

If you have a zero-terminated char* that a C function gives you, you
can turn it into a D string with std.string.toString (Phobos) or
tango.stdc.stringz.fromStringz (Tango).