What is the sate of LDC?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Mar 21 18:18:38 PDT 2009

Georg Wrede:
> bearophile wrote:
> > [...] despite LDC looks like the best bet for the close future of D.
>
> Would you care to elaborate?

I know very little about compilers, so it's better for you to ask similar questions to LDC developers or other people. Most people around here seems to know much more than me about compilers of C-like languages.
So my opinion isn't much reliable, but if you want to know it: I think LLVM backend is currently unfinished (no exceptions on Win) but it's being developed strongly enough, and eventually it will surely have exceptions. DMD back-end is very old, developed very little, and usually it doesn't produce much efficient executables, compared to other compilers (Despite LLVM produces code that most of the times is slower than code produced by GCC, LDC already usually produces code faster than DMD, and probably it will get better).
LLVM is also open source.
So to me it seems LDC has a future more open than DMD.
(Eventually I'd like to see a project like dlang, a D clang-like front-end for LLVM written in D, replace LDC, but this will require a ton of work. So it's mostly a dream now).

Bye,
bearophile