dwt2 help

Sergey Gromov snake.scaly at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 18:49:17 PDT 2009

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:40:25 +0100, Saaa wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>>             catch(Object e){ // ConvError or ConvOverflowError
>>> //Is this the correct translation?
>>>                 throw new NumberFormatException( e );
>>>             }
>>
>> It depends on what NumberFormatException can  accept as an argument.  If
>> it accepts an Object then it's fine.
>
> class NumberFormatException : IllegalArgumentException {
>     this( String e ){
>         super(e);
>     }
>     this( Exception e ){
>         super(e.toString);
>     }
> }
>
> Can Object be implicitly converted to Exception?

No it cannot.  Object is the root of the D class hierarchy.  In D1
Exception is derived directly from Object.  In D2 Exception is derived
from Throwable which in turn is derived from Object.  You can cast
Exception to Object but not the other way around.

What's worse, ConvError and ConvOverflowError in D2 are derived from
Error which is a separate class from Exception and cannot be cast
implicitly.  I think you'd want to fix the NumberFormatException to
accept Throwable for instance which is a base of both Exception and
Error in D2.