dmd on ubuntu installation

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Sun May 10 14:45:07 PDT 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009 17:14:12 -0400, Michael P. wrote:

> Okay, I've been trying to install DMD on Ubuntu for a while, but I just
> can't get it. Is there an up to date guide on installing DMD on Ubuntu?
> I'm new to Linux too. :P
> I've tried quite a bit of googling, and found some stuff, but quite a
> bit of it won't work with the latest release, where there are separate
> directories for linux, mac, and windows. Help. :)

I assume you have already tried the .deb or have no desire to use it and
aren't going to use Tango. The simplest is to extract it and put dmd/
linux/bin in your path.

$ PATH=$PATH:$HOME/dmd/linux/bin

I'm going to suggest install-d.sh: http://groups.google.com/group/
dlanguage/files

But I have to warn you that it doesn't have the most thorough testing,
and currently only works if you install as root. To download and install
version 1.043

$ sudo ./install-d -d -v 1.043

As for doing this by hand. The two directories you are interested in are
src/ and linux/ the others are just manuals and other operating systems.

copy the files found in linux/ to /usr/local/

copy src/phobos to /usr/local/include/

With this you'd need to edit dmd.conf to look more like this

$ vim /usr/local/bin/dmd.conf

[Environment]

DFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/phobos -L-L/usr/local/lib