Threading

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Tue May 12 09:00:25 PDT 2009

Saaa wrote:
Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> i.e. I want thread 1 to initialize elements 0, 1, and 2, and thread 2 to
>> initialize elements 3, 4, and 5:
>>
>> thread1 = new ProcessingThread(arrayToInit[0..3]);
>> thread2 = new ProcessingThread(arrayToInit[3..6]);
>> thread1.start();
>> thread2.start();
>>
>> Should be completely thread safe.
>
> Could become more difficult if the distinction would be odd/even elements :P

Why??? If your threads have no bugs (i.e. the "odd" thread doesn't read
or write the "even" elements, and vice versa), then this should be easy!

> Or creatures on a grid who can only see the cell they stand on :D

Then the only thing that has to be thread safe is the code that moves a
creature from cell to cell. And, of course, it has to guarantee that no
two creatures end up in the same cell.