Encoding problems...

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 17:22:10 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Stewart,
<snip>
>> My impression was that it's some standard list of Unicode characters
>> that are letters (or logogram or ideogram or whatever) in some
>> language somewhere in the world.
>
> That's more or less the same thing (although I'll admit, my original
> comment is not well stated).

Indeed, my keyboard has a number of punctuation characters, most of
which aren't valid in identifiers.

> I'm not just talking about standard QWERTY
> keyboard but also standard keyboards for other languages and alphabets.

I'd got that far.

> I rather suspect that for every char in universal alpha, there is a
> standard keyboard somewhere that has it.

So I guess it's therefore likely to exclude ancient scripts with not
enough modern use to have warranted the invention of a standard keyboard
therefor.  (One omission I noticed is Phoenician, though that may be
also due to its later arrival in Unicode.)

Stewart.