Encoding problems...

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Thu May 28 20:49:40 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Robert,
>

>> Hmm... I'd say x.⊆(y) is preferable x.isSubsetOf(y), but it's not a
>> huge deal.
>>

> Only until you have to type it. I think universal alpha includes only
> the union of things that can be easily typed on standard keyboards. I
> don't think any keyboard (ok maybe an APL keyboard) has the subset
> symbol on it.

I have 10 configurable keys on my keyboard, none of which are in use. I
could also remap my numpad (cause, seriously, who uses this?) Also, many
editors can be configured so that a sequence of characters converts to a
single one.

There appears to be no reason that mathematical symbols aren't allowed
in identifiers... Think of how awesome it would be to write
assert(x⊇y→∀a∈x∃b∈y(a⊇b)) ... Okay, that would require overloading of
those operators (and instantiating variables in a new way), but still!