The length of strings vs. # of chars vs. sizeof

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 2 15:19:28 PST 2009

Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 11:36:31 -0800, Charles Hixson wrote:
>
>> Does anyone just *know* the answer?  (And if so, could they make the
>> documentation explicit?)
>
> I believe the documentation you are looking for is:
>
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DanielKeep/TextInD
>
> It is more about understanding UTF than it is about learning strings.
Thanks, that does appear to be the answer.

So if a string is too long, and I shorten it by one character, I'd
better test it with std.utf.validate(str).  If it doesn't throw an
error, it's ok.  Otherwise shorten it again and retry.

I hope I understood this correctly.  (I'm sure there's a more elegant
way to do this, but here I'm going for a simple approach, as I should
rarely be encountering this problem.)