Using ANSI codes

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 7 18:06:17 PST 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:
> http://github.com/DanielKeep/gb/blob/master/src/gb/io/Ansi.d
<snip>

I noticed this comment:

/* We only need to override write for Windows, since it's the only OS
  * that doesn't understand ANSI. The ONE spot where 9x is better than
  * NT...
  */

This is incorrect - ANSI.SYS is still included in modern Windows
versions, at least up to Vista; the only difference is whether it's
switched on by default.

But libraries such as yours at least mean that the codes will work
regardless of whether the end user has ANSI.SYS switched on.  But
disp.h, which I've already mentioned, also has the same advantage.  So
unless the OP is porting an app that already uses ANSI codes, or writing
a terminal emulator or something....

Stewart.